View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #8
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFourTwo View Post
^^Interesting. I've used Zip (for about 4 years) simply because Netflix isn't available in Canada.

Zip has been OK as an alternative, but I can't see how Zip could be considered on par with Netflix. Zip's access to titles (specifically wait times) has always been a problem, something Netflix is not immune to, but certainly much better with. Zip doesn't offer any kind of quality streaming option, something Netflix continues to expand on. And considering that over about four years my Zip plan has gone from $12.95 up to $24.95......there's PLENTY of room to compete on price.

I suspect that Zip will be crushed within a couple of years.
I acknowledge that Zip has definitely got their wires crossed when it comes to sending DVD's high up on someone's Ziplist. This next title they're sending me is 9th on my list. They couldn't get me one of the 8 above it? I'm disappointed, to say the least. But given there are no competitors that can do better -- yet -- what else am I to do, eh?

Me, I only pay for the basic zip service. $8.95 a month. I would pay more, but my Ziplist has less than 12 titles in it right now, and I'm content to let that run its course. One of these days I'll have to add more titles to it.

A thought just also occured to me regarding Netflix and their streaming service. I like Zip's service now. There's just something uniquely beneficial to receiving a physical DVD from a rental service such as Zip or Netflix that just can't be beat by streaming video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang

Keep in mind that Netfilx is bringing streaming only to Canada, so you won't be able to use Netflix as an alternative to Zip for getting DVDs in the mail.

That being said, unless Zip gets on board with a competing streaming service, they could be dead in the water. In a few years, the idea of actually having a physical disc delivered to you in the mail will seem downright awkward because most TVs, consoles, BluRay players, etc. will be able to stream these things right to your living room.
I dunno... the major benefit of a physical media kinda outweighs the convenience of a streamed video. Even if I do have to eventually return it.

Last edited by HeartsOfFire; 07-19-2010 at 08:58 AM.
HeartsOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote