View Single Post
Old 10-30-2016, 07:52 AM   #97
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
I'm thinking that if the Jays offer to just take Votto's contract without having them eat too much $ on it, the Reds probably would be glad to move it. He makes 22 mil next year and then 25 for the balance until he's 40.

It would likely be something akin to the Donaldson deal where they include a filler major leaguer like Smoak (Lawrie), two arms that are decent and close to the majors, and one good prospect that's raw (Barretto).
But Donaldson was younger at the time and wasn't locked in long term. I think it should cost less to acquire Votto, at least the Jays shouldn't be paying anywhere near what they had to for Donaldson, but that's just my opinion.

$25 million till 40? I think you might as well give Encarnacion $100 million over 4 years, he would still be younger at the end of that contract. At least you know what you are getting. Votto is good no doubt but you never know what a change of scenery might do. Also heard he suffer from anxiety or something like that which is a reason why he himself isn't big on playing at home due to added pressure.