View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 08:22 AM   #19
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
i don't remember which game of the finals my buddy and i were at in kelowna - but it was great!! i think we were the only two people in the arena wearing hitmen jerseys
i know calgary won the game we were at - which was awesome, but the best part was when the rockets scored. i think backlund scored twice (?) and both times we jumped up and cheered with everyone else. the fans right around us were so confused. we explained that backlund would be playing for the flames in the fall - and we cheer for calgary first - future flames or hitmen - it made no difference to us!!!
i guess the game was televised and i had a few messages on my answering machine from friends chirping me for going to the game and wearing a hitmen jersey

i also got to meet backlund in penticton at the young stars tourney - he was such a nice guy (and i'm sure he still is). i told him the story above and he thought it was pretty funny.
Backlund had a great regular season for the 28 games and also a pretty decent playoffs for sure. Didn't dominate at the memorial Cup as hoped though. Benn did.

You were the exact opposite of me at the games then. The games I attended at the Saddledome, I was probably the only one cheering for the Rockets. I told the surrounding fans who were curious as to why I was cheering for the Rockets that I cheer any future flame first. Hitmen being a local/Calgary team meant nothing to me.

I hope he remains a flame till the end of his career as well.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulchoice For This Useful Post: