View Single Post
Old 11-18-2015, 10:36 PM   #1052
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
So I started thinking numbers (math guys can correct me if I'm wrong):

Calgary has a population of around a million, with 1500 taxis (I think, based on this old CBC article).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...lief-1.1376084

That's a ratio of 0.0015 cabs per person (roughly)

I know I always throw out Beijing as a comparable, but I'm there a lot and I use cabs there a lot as well. Beijing population is 21 million (and growing), with 70 000 cabs (0.003 cabs per person). I don't ever have a problem getting a cab there, but there is a shortage looming because of their explosive population growth. People are already complaining about "selective" habits of their drivers (sound familiar?)

Essentially Beijing, with their cab "shortage", still has double the cabs per capita that we do.

Someone please give me ANY good reason we are restricting cab licenses. No wonder Uber is killing it in this market, it's TOTALLY underserved on the supply side. You could probably put hundreds (a thousand?) of Uber drivers on the road just to get to a decent cab to population ratio.

Maybe that's what the city is afraid of? They know we have a massive cab shortage, and they don't want it filled with an "unregulated" service that has the potential to match the amount of cabs currently running?
We ended up walking everywhere when we were in Beijing. Couldn't get a legal taxi to save our life, and the illegal ones only rip you off. One of our friends actually caught a taxi, but ended having to walk 10 blocks because it turned out her cabby had no idea where a fancy hotel in the CBD was. We all had cards to give cabbies to tell them where to go and it didn't matter. I'm pretty sure they couldn't read. Fun part was we got to walk through some incredibly sketchy areas because Google maps gave us the most direct (not safest) route. Fun times. At least we got to see the real Beijing.

Had a much better experience in Shanghai.
V is offline   Reply With Quote