View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 12:22 PM   #38
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
What do you do if something like the oven isnt cleaned? You pay someone to clean it and deduct the bill from the deposit?

Seems like such a weird thing, but youre right 4 years of use if its never been cleaned its going to need it.
Stove top or oven? Oven I think you can easily turn on a clean mode and wipe the ashes away later, right? But if it's stove top, tell them to clean it properly or you'll charge a cleaning company to do it along with any other cleaning the cleaning co needs to do and deduct from the DD. I've even heard that sometimes,

As mentioned before, having this list of expectations when the rental agreement is signed so there's no surprises on move out is pretty important. Worth ensuring you do on the next tenant.

Worst case scenario, to avoid annoyances, you can just eat the cost of cleaning it yourself. Cleaning an induction stove top is pretty easy with some razor blades or utility knife blades for the truly caked on stuff and then wiping some basic stove top cleaner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Our PM builds in a full apartment cleaning by a cleaning service into the deposit so they have to pay that up front when they sign the lease. Is that common or general practice?
I've seen this before on a rental unit my wife (GF at the time) was renting i downtown Calgary. But the clause also stated this fee can be returned provided that you pass final walk through and you as the tenant can provide a satisfactory invoice showing you have had the unit professionally cleaned. The fee was quite high so we hired someone to do it for 1/4th of the price on the agreement by snagging someone who was already at the complex to do a different clean (We had already pre-cleaned ourselves and were mainly after the invoice).

The property manager was trying to be a dick though. Said it obviously
wasn't cleaned well enough by the people we hired based on the fee we paid and said they'd charge the fee to re-clean the entire unit properly. So we countered by saying we'd already taken pictures/video of the whole unit before and after cleaning. We'd give them hell unless they could provide the invoice of the cleaner they used AND photographic evidence that anything specific was cleaned in a superior manner to what had been done before.

"It's fine" was the email reply we received along with the full DD.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: