View Single Post
Old 09-21-2020, 12:47 PM   #19
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was just having this conversation with a friend of mine earlier today. I don't think Microsoft's reputation as a studio killer is warranted.

- Peter Molyneux killed Lionhead all on his own.
- Does anyone actually know what games Digital Anvil has made? The answer is Freelancer and Brute Force.
- FASA - Traditionally the developer of the Mechwarrior franchise. Made Mechassault and Crimson Skies for Xbox.
- Ensemble... look, I love Age of Empires but the RTS genre has been declining for decades. They couldn't adapt.
- Rare - Fair enough.

Looks bad on paper but then I can go through any other company and find equally bad studio closures.

Take Sony for instance:
- Psygnosis (Wipeout)
- Incognito (Twisted Metal)
- Zipper Interactive (Mechwarrior 3 & SOCOM)
- Sold off SOE

Rare is really the only notable exception and it sticks out because of how odd it was to acquire a big name company and then have them toiling on the Kinnect. Typically Microsoft has gone out and picked up struggling studios so this move is an interesting one. Bethesda (Fallout 76 and Rage aside) has been putting out great games and they're not in financial trouble.

I am not sure I like this though. The last thing I want to see is an arms race between companies trying to buy up all of the publishers. Sony does love their walled off gardens.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post: