View Single Post
Old 07-04-2018, 11:23 PM   #18
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

An update: I decided to skip waiting for the UAP-AC-PRO and just get everything set up with just the UAP-AC-Mesh.

So far, everything is awesome, learned some quirks along the way.

First, I'm the sort of guy who likes to set up his new network gear without interrupting his existing network; this is a problem for the USG unless you are willing to hook it up to the existing network and give it a LAN IP, as it won't let you proceed with anything unless the USG gets a DHCP IP address from something. No, you cannot just proceed and manually assign it, I do not know why. Not a big deal, but weird.

Second, turn off Deep Packet Inspection. I was incredibly frustrated when I tried to update some Steam titles only to see that I was getting 200 KB/sec downloads -- hardwired! Steam was able to saturate my old RT-N66U so badly that I couldn't DO anything until it finished downloading updates, so what the hell was going on here? I tried a lot of things that made no difference, but disabling DPI resulted in 22 MB/sec downloads. Yes, MB not Mb.

Also, jumbo packets are disabled by default, so turn that on.

As I get deeper into the configuration of this thing, I'll have some more to add. This is the tip of the iceberg. Overall, the setup was really easy using the Cloud Key, the interface is reasonably easy to get the hang of. The wireless has been solid running off a single UAP-AC-Mesh which is just a 2x2 that maxes out just below 1 Gbps, and the Mrs. isn't complaining about the WiFi anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Why does it have to live in the utility closet? You could put it anywhere you have 2 ports and run into it, then back down.
Exactly, if I had two data cables terminating to two ports in the same box, that would be awesome.

But I don't. :\

I was spoiled for connectivity with my apartment which was built in 2015, where several walls had dual ethernet lines per box. It was beautiful.

This house was built in 2008. I have Cat5e to every main room in the place and for that I'm fortunate. Upon which wall and how many, however, is a different story. The TV ledge above the fireplace doesn't have Cat5e, just coaxial. The entertainment room and bar both have Cat5e run to them in a data configuration. The rooms were wired with Cat5e but the placement screams "we only thought about telephones". All the bedrooms have Cat5e run but wired for voice, so I pulled those and replaced them with actual RJ45 ports.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post: