View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 09:54 AM   #14018
wingmaker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I suspect if Brodano is reunited that pair will once again be a formidable top pairing as they were prior to Gulutzan and moving Brodie to the left side. Rather try that than sell low st Brodie where he can bounce back elsewhere and get a huge return for Hamilton.
Fair enough. But your preferred scenario is based on four very big assumptions:

Assumption 1) Brodie/Andersson/Fox/whomever will not bring back a valuable top six forward capable of increasing the offence up front.

Assumption 2) Brodie will be put back on the top line with Giordano and will return to the point totals of three seasons ago.

Assumption 3) Giordano will continue to be the Flames most important denfeceman and will continue to drive play, even if paired with a player who has not been able to drive play on his own.

Assumption 4) Peters will not substantively change the style of play to utilize Hamilton's strengths better.

I don't agree with those assumptions. First of all, I don't know what Brodie or some other package could bring back. Maybe you are correct, but until I know that for a fact I won't assume it to be true. Secondly, I don't think relying on Brodie to carry the mail on a team that has aspirations to go on a long playoff run while Gaudreau and Monahan are still in their prime's is a good bet. That seems like a very big gamble to me, and not one I would take if I was running the team. It is further based on other gambles that Andersson or Valimaki will become top tier defensemen in the next couple of seasons to supplant Giordano.

Additionally, if the new coaching staff can build a power play using Hamilton's strengths, something the team did not do last year, he may be able to hit 55+ points. That actually seems like a safer bet than Brodie returning to 45 points. If I trade Hamilton now, I will never know if a new coach could have got even more offence out of him.

To me, why would I take all that risk when I already have a top tier, young defensemen who might get better? I would explore all other options, including trading Bennett, Jankowski or seeing whom I can bring in through free agency before I use Hamilton. Using Hamilton to upgrade upfront is a last ditch move, and probably one I would only consider after next year if the team continues to underwhelm.
Harry, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it, don't wait for it, just... let it happen. Could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or... two cups of good, hot, black coffee.