View Single Post
Old 10-19-2020, 11:57 AM   #760
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
A woman I know got a 1988 Cadillac Sedan Deville from her grand father early in the summer, It's in excellent shape and has low milage on it. I recently found out she was using regular gas instead of the recommended Premium gas. She did it save money.

I told her she needs to use Premium from now on.

She wants to know if she done any damage to her engine? She says it's sluggish.
It's sluggish because it's a 1988 Cadillac Sedan Deville. It's meant to be a big couch on wheels and float you to speed rather than rush you.

As far as premium fuel goes, it is a waste of money in that car, and especially if she lives in Calgary. That engine is a 4.5L V8 with a 9.5:1 compression ratio.

- First reason, our altitude: air density is lower at these elevations, you aren't getting as big of a 'bang' in the combustion chamber.
- Second, the vast majority of gasoline in Canada (except Shell 91 and Chevron 94 per burn_this_city) is 10% ethanol blended, and ethanol has 25% less energy than pure petrol. Again, less energy in the bang.

Now, if it was a forced induction engine like a turbo? Sure. But that car will run just fine with the regular stuff. It probably just needs a tune-up; plugs and wires, ignition... and a reset of expectations that any 88 Cadillac will provide an exhilarating drive.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 10-19-2020 at 12:14 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post: