View Single Post
Old 10-18-2020, 03:11 PM   #24
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_in_Canada View Post
If the allowances for the Mi'kmaw are really so insignificant that fishing out of season will not affect the stocks for the commercial fisherman, how did it get so out of control?
Do the Mi'kmaw people also work during the commercial season, I don't see why they couldn't/wouldn't.
So is that the real problem? One group gets to double dip?
Sadly, its racism, or at the very least envy on a right that was obtained due to race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
the first nation fishery is the primary fishery, that's the whole point of a treaty obligation, unless we want to give them their land back, which I assume we dont.

It's Canada's mortgage payment to the band for all the good parts of Nova Scotia, the decent harbors, the rivers with salmon in etc, while its true first nations didnt live everywhere they lived everywhere we like to live now and we have to pay a minimal rent for it, a few thousand lobsters, salmon etc anyone that objects to this should be ashamed.
This is an awesome province. Its not all anti-Mi'kmaq treaty rights.

Antidotally, my Facebook feed is full of support for the Mi'kmaq and no one arguing or presenting alternate information (such as conservativation, or fairness is the same rules for everyone, which while on the surface make sense are much more nuanced than that).

Yesterday were the municipal elections in the province. On a whole we took a lot of progressive steps (Richmond County had an all male council that voted against funding a women in politics conference with the warden saying "Why would I help a potential challenger?" losing to a woman with most if not all council members being defeated; my hometown, the second largest city in the province, elected a 37 year old pregnant woman mayor).

We're not all anti-treaty yokels (nor did anyone imply it).

I really wish our government would take accountability and increase the police presence before more people get hurt.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post: