View Single Post
Old 10-16-2020, 09:09 PM   #580
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Have they even bothered to reach out to Farrell? She is one of the most approachable sitting Councillors willing to talk to city residents. Sounds like people just don't agree with her voting record.

Will be interesting to see if Farrell continues on. She's been there for a long time now.
I'll preface this by saying that in my past, I have indeed voted for Druh (not the last few times) and even defended her a few times on this board.

A few years back myself and a group of neighbors had a matter of concern and approached her office. You're right - I'll give her credit - her aides answered our emails, and eventually progressed to a meeting. Thing is - she governs via a set of beliefs and policies that operate at levels beyond civic government that causes her to gloss over some of actual day to day workings and local concerns of her constituents. Put simply, her constituents are talking, she's listening, but she ain't doing nothing about it. I don't think she was always like that - seemed a little more grounded in her days on the Kensington BRZ. I attribute that to 20 years in the Councillors chair and her aspiring to do bigger things.

You might say, 'well gee you were in the wrong' there - and you might be right. Thing is - I don't think it was just us. That part in Mcrae's interview where she talks about meeting people in a dog park with 'unheard' concerns? I'd say it's accurate. I ended up talking to plenty of neighbors and members of the CA and there was a healthy amount of eye rolling when I mentioned we planned on taking the matter to her. Everyone had tips about dealing with Druh. Most said we were wasting our time.

Lots of scuttlebutt about whether she'd run again. Was some speculation at the time that one of her trusted aides would run with her endorsement as a successor. I think she'll go provincial and help out Notley somehow....or join an urban developer like RNDSQR....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
That said, I have no doubt that Ward 7 will find itself a UCP acolyte to run as part of the slate, whether that ends up McCrae or someone else. I suspect because of the progressive vote in that Ward that the candidate will be more muted on their alignment though. Sort of like a "back door" entry plan without saying too much.
I wouldn't assume that at all. Kevin Taylor was parachuted here 2 terms ago by the Manning crowd and was defeated. The predominant demographic here is largely a socially progressive, yet fiscally conservative bunch. A candidate taking one step to the right socially, and 2 steps fiscally would go over well with Ward 7 but still be considered some pinko commie by the UCP.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 10-16-2020 at 09:13 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is online now   Reply With Quote