View Single Post
Old 10-14-2020, 01:08 PM   #145
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just a few years ago had a major bone breakage and over a week stay in the hospital. Witch Doctor prescribed a non-opiod narcotic for pain management. Told her I don't metabolize that stuff... she insisted... I said fine we'll try it your way first. Didn't work. She refused all changes to her medication program whilst in the hospital. In addition to almost zero pain control I ended up with about 90% of the negative side effects including that neuropathy, lightning bolts up & down my legs, tingling nerves, numbness, wild dreams on the few occasions I was actually able to sleep, headaches, incredible thirst, and of course lovely bowel issues. Never had anything like that before. Witch still insisted I continue the meds, we had a big argument, she eventually "divorced" me as a patient.

After approx 2 weeks on the nasty meds it took almost another 2 weeks after stopping for the bad sh*t to stop and the body to return to normal. Fortunately I had extra pain meds at home that substantially helped me, and I was easily able to wean myself off them (not to mention I simply ran out).

So yeah, take the side effects seriously and don't be afraid to ask/advocate for alternatives to suit your pain management (and other issues). Also be sure to advocate for your friends/family as well if their doctor and/or drug program is not working for them. This is serious stuff and can have real consequences.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote