View Single Post
Old 10-01-2020, 03:37 PM   #49
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Wow. I knew that the foster system had a LOT of indigenous children, but this is insane.

I have two sets of friends who both adopted an indigenous child that was coming from an abusive situation, and it is a painful and sad procedure despite the amazing joy both families have gotten as a result of the children they adopted.

What I don't get about foster & adoption system is the red tape around it. At some point surely the positivity of being able to adopt a child who has no parents should erase some of the red tape that families have to go through in order to be approved. Never understood that.
If possible, extended family and people who are familiar with the children at the first option. For people who aren't and are just looking to adopt, the goal is to put the children under government care into a good family situation, so just "willing to adopt" isn't enough. The other side of that, is that many children are indigenous, have behavioural or development issues, are older, or a mix of the three, and there is not an abundance of adoptive parents willing to take that on, sadly. On top of that, the priority with indigenous children is always to place them with indigenous caregivers. If someone who is not indigenous wishes to adopt an indigenous child, they need to commit to providing opportunities that ensure the child maintains a close connection with their culture.

The red tape may seem counter-intuitive sometimes, but the priority is always to do what is best for the child in all circumstances, and a lot of the red tape is to ensure that happens.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote