View Single Post
Old 10-01-2020, 01:58 PM   #48
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Wow. I knew that the foster system had a LOT of indigenous children, but this is insane.

I have two sets of friends who both adopted an indigenous child that was coming from an abusive situation, and it is a painful and sad procedure despite the amazing joy both families have gotten as a result of the children they adopted.

What I don't get about foster & adoption system is the red tape around it. At some point surely the positivity of being able to adopt a child who has no parents should erase some of the red tape that families have to go through in order to be approved. Never understood that.
I know someone who themselves 'adopted' a family of children, outside of the normal foster parent stream.

I don't know the exact details, but the person I know was a neighbour to a mother that was raising her three children by herself. The children's father was in jail (long term, I believe for murder). When the mother's drug problem lead to her arrest, the kids immediately moved in with the person I know (and her daughter, making for 4 kids in the household). It was all of a few weeks and a hearing granted her some sort of (semi?) permanent custody over the children. All-in-all, it seemed to be a strangely quick process without a lot of consideration. Very surprising actually.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote