View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 07:28 AM   #8
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Same here.

Anyone else think that an engineering degree was one of the the biggest waste of time?
I would disagree.

I’m still doing technical work so still actively use the principles in fluids, materials and some of the electrical stuff. But even in non-technical jobs I think that Engineering School teaches a methodology of problem solving that you wouldn’t otherwise have. Also having project managers with at least some technical background makes them more effective in understanding the actual issue instead of just cost/schedule.

This isn’t to say that all engineers are good problem solvers but I do think their is significant value in the program even if the technical aspects aren’t used.

It also creates some gatekeeping which ensures a certain standard of person coming out. This is less valuable now that entrance averages to engineering has gone up so much as it becomes a high school work ethic question as opposed to the ability to obtain an engineering degree. So now it probably locks some people out.

That said I think a more trades style 2-3 years of school with apprenticeship would make much more sense

Last edited by GGG; 08-22-2019 at 07:35 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: