View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007, 01:56 PM   #81
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowa View Post
Mastadon is pretty much going to take the throne that Slayer sits upon out from under them. I have seen them 5-6 times in the last couple years, they seem to love playing Austin, Tx. always drop off the Slayer tour to do a one off in Austin. They are amazing, there newest album is good, but the album Leviathan is easily one of the best metal albums ever. They signed a deal with Warner Bros. for 4 mil. unheard of for a metal act that will never see mainstream success, because Warner Bros. knows they will have a Slayer like following their whole career.
I'm not much of a metal fan, but I recently got to listen to Leviathan, and it instantly became one of my new favorite albums. It actually reminds me of the early Rush that I listened to as a kid (2112 era), with the literary-referenced concept album, a very high level of technical proficiency, great instrumental interludes, and shifting time signatures (though of course Mastodon has better vocals). There are probably far better comparisons for the band for those who follow the genre, but anyway, it's a great album.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote