View Single Post
Old 10-23-2017, 08:49 AM   #47
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBates View Post
Consumer in a vulnerable position somehow finds himself having paid $1,300 for a service that should have been $0 after some fast-talking by service provider (taking OP at face value).

Consumer protection legislation and a whole government department exists to assist people in such circumstances.

Consumer comes to message board asking if anyone can help.

Lawyer who has experience with such matters directs consumer to said resources.

"Lol" "Omg"

Ok then.

I wonder if when consumer makes a call to AMA, knowing what his rights are under the provisions of Alberta's Fair Trading Act could be helpful?

Nah, consumer should probably just stick with the knowledge and negotiating skill they had when they paid $1,300 for a supposed to be free service.

You are right. My mistake. OP - whatever you do, don't crank this up to 11 and do something foolish like click that link I posted...

And nobody else either! The Fair Trading Act applies to almost every consumer contract you enter every day in Alberta...best to make sure you know nothing about it.

Phew! That was a close one!!
I think you would sound like an absolute idiot if you started flapping around about The Fair Trading Act when there were at least three other more sensible options to explore before. First step is to call AMA. It probably ends there. Second step is to call the tow truck company. Third step is to call insurance company.

Calling the news. Calling The Fair Trading Act. He's not there yet.

Genuine question: If he called the government about this, do you not think their first bit of advice would be to contact AMA and the tow truck company? I'm not a lawyer and have never been in OP's predicament, but it seems obvious that's step one.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: