Thread: "Gitting" Git
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #1
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:
Default "Gitting" Git

I'm almost 25 years into a career on the network side of IT. I've done the whole spectrum. Junior, Intermediate, Senior, Management. Support, Deployment, Design... Literally almost 25 years of hands-on, practical experience at all levels of SMB IT.

Last December, I decided to switch gears and now I'm four months into my first job as a software developer, and if there is one thing that routinely makes me feel like I've never even seen a computer before, it's Git.

I can use Git on my own just fine. I "git" it, if you will. Using Git as part of a team though is a completely different animal. At least, it feels like that to me anyway.

Perfect example... they tell me today that Git has been cleaned up and merged and that now all branches are up to date and broken off properly, etc. I'm like ok... so I do a fresh pull off origin/develop, make a change to something and push back to origin/develop, and now when I go online to see my commit in Bitbucket, I see all the other branches merging into a single point, but now there's my commit extending the develop branch from the last time someone updated it a week ago, but it's standing on its own looking like it contains none of the code that was supposedly merged back into it...

Look at this (develop branch is green). When I looked before I pulled from develop, it was just the one single point where everything was merged (the commit before the latest one). After I pushed, it looks like my codebase doesn't have any of the changes that were done on the other branches from between the last develop commit and my recent develop commit.

Spoiler!

What am I not understanding? I'm asking people, how come it looks like none of our recent work is part of the develop branch? Like I know we did a bunch of emergency work on the release branch, but that's over and now where back to working on develop again, so how come it looks like nothing from release or master is part of develop? Do we merge master into develop now to get develop up to date?... and they're like, dude you don't merge master into anything... you merge stuff into master...

Git is literally my arch-rival at this point.

Last edited by FanIn80; 09-05-2019 at 02:27 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote