View Single Post
Old 03-11-2024, 07:13 PM   #20
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

its super challenging as there is so much content to adapt.

Villenueve and Nolan are the best directors out there for big scale movies...but there's a ton of others like Fincher, PT Anderson, Scorcesse, Glazer, Lanthimos whose work I love too.

There were things in Dune 1+2 that I was hoping for, but were not filmed, or cut for run time...

the Conservatory and the Banquet scenes, the traitor storyline, the Mentats, Thurfir and Alia (as a child)...The Spacing Guild and their inability to use prescience to figure out to deal with Paul.

Since Paul's struggle in the book was mainly through internal monologues, I thouight the use of Chani to physically manifest those doubts was a clever strategy. Alia in vitro was cool as it provided Jessica an interesting arc.

Nothing really 'bothered' me... I thought maybe the throughline after Paul drank the Water of Life was lost a little bit as things accelerated a bit too quickly... as a Dune fan, I would have happily sat through another 15 - 30 min...but as seen in some of the reviews, there are some people who wouldn't have enjoyed it at all...

I know DV has already stated that there will be no director's cut, but I wish that he will change his mind at some point, even if it is as deleted scenes without being recut into the movie.

But WB is so cash strapped, having an Extended Dune cut would definitely get them additional sales imo...

As for Messiah, not sure how they deal with a teenage Alia, since ATJ is pretty much the same age as all the other young cast...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote