View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 03:55 PM   #15
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll post the relevant part of my post from the last thread here then.

I've been reading a lot and thinking over the few days since this broke about these artists, especially older ones, and it can be hard to separate to be honest. I don't really expect artists to be models for society, we prop them up that way because we love their creative work, but artistry can often come from people with demons as well. I expect higher moral conduct from politicians and journalists moreso than entertainment stars. It is certainly sad to find out that someone you admire is a creep or worse. It's an odd feeling to deal with.

I heard about Woody Allen before I had a chance to see any of his films and now I actively don't watch them. Same with Cosby. I watched the show as a kid, but never connected with him as a figure the way an older generation would have. I had however seen a few of Polanski's films before I knew about his stuff and a couple of them are my favorites. Musicians like Jimmy Page, David Bowie, Chuck Berry, the list goes on, are all people whose work I would consider great inspirations of mine. That's an imprint on my personality that can't just be shoved aside. I can't stop listening to Led Zeppelin. I can't stop loving The Pianist as a film. Even the ending of Chinatown takes on a whole different and disturbing new meaning when you consider Polanski's allegations, and that almost makes it more compelling. Will I not watch Rush Hour? Jackie Chan isn't a rapist, but it sounds like Bret Ratner might be.

I think the larger lessons from these revelations and others recently should really be that it is not confined to the "untouchable" high society types. That it's happening in grocery stores and peoples own homes as well. I just hope people feel better coming forward and that we as a whole can support them more than has been in the past.