View Single Post
Old 09-07-2021, 01:56 PM   #2716
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I don't think it was Feaster who gave him the Power, it was the NMC. All Iginla had to do was find out that Pittsburgh would make an offer and essentially say Trade me to Pittsburgh. So that's easily stuff that guys can find out via other players and agents. The trade can't be made until the player waives that clause, and that clause allows a player to pick exactly where he goes.

If we put the hindsight goggles on, at that time Pittsburgh was the top team, had just made deals to add Brendan Morrow, so they would have been the most attractive team for him at that time. It was like choosing to join the 96 Red Wings at the Deadline as opposed to the Avalanche. He would have gone to Boston if Pittsburgh had no interest quite happily. But they did, and he said trade me there. After what he saw in Calgary, the idea of Crosby or Malkin probably was too much to pass up.

Realistically the bad Iginla return likely traces back to the organizational idea that the team is going to the playoffs every year, and after 3 years of missing playoffs with the same aging core, the Flames continued to think a new coach and adding Denis Wideman was and Jiri Hudler was going to suddenly make them competitive. I don't think the timing of the lockout helped either, but the actions to add the two noted above shows the team thought they would keep him, and after failing badly realized they had to deal him.

Hence why what we see going on with the team right now does have a few of the BOHICA's (Bend Over Here it Comes Again) riled up. The behavior seems to mimic that 2012-2013 offseason to pretty closely with a few nuanced differences. We'll see if doing the same thing and expecting a different result ends up per the accepted definition or if it works out this time.
This sounds familiar. At least I'm quite confident we got the coach right.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote