View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 09:16 AM   #76
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME ENVY View Post
Based on your description and colour, it was the Z32 300ZX that your Dad owned. The Z32 (1990-96 NA production) is still one of the most revered Sports Cars of the 1990's. It was on C&D's 10 best list every year it was produced along with every pretty much every other magazines 'best list'. The 4 speed automatic is woeful, good reason it sat unsold at Brasso for so long until your Dad bought it. Why did your Dad not get a 5 Speed?

My gripe with current Nissan/Infiniti is the broad use of CVT's and the rather uninspiring dynamics on many of their platforms. The QX80 is essentially a Patrol which is an awesome 4 wheeler. I would still dig a new 370Z NISMO or R35 GT-R. The Q50RS is still great fun, although in need of a re-fresh however.
I think he liked getting a new car that was a couple years old, plus his wife preferred automatics, which he humoured for a couple of cars. I have been reading about the love for Z cars my whole life and have never quite felt it. I looked up my dad's 300zx and the 0-60 is 7.8 - 8.3 seconds depending on the source, which isn't fast now and wasn't then, either. I am surprised people would say they handle well - his certainly didn't. Part of that could be the transmission again, though. If you can't power out of a corner, you lose some confidence, so you basically have to come in hot (and in the wrong gear) if you're going to corner it, and that isn't as fun as coming in perfectly controlled and then powering out of it.

A stick would have improved that a lot. At the time, I had a '91 GMC stepside truck with a 350 in it (looked almost exactly like bcchris's truck) and it was faster and sounded better than this supposed sports car, which made cramming myself into it kind of pointless and unfun except for the T-top, which can keep you entertained for a bit.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote