View Single Post
Old 09-02-2020, 10:34 PM   #3134
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Athletic did an analysis of the Unholy Trinity of commercials during this playoff season.

https://theathletic.com/2037879/2020...l-playoff-ads/

1. John Hamm rabbity babbity boo

Quote:
So what we’ve got here is a famous person engaged in an annoying act? One that sort of winks and says, “Yep, we know this is annoying. That’s the conceit. Isn’t that funny? The juxtaposition of a vaguely charming celebrity, doing something awful that’ll burrow into your brain and make your life a little worse?”
2. Brent Burns scarfing chips

Quote:
Here’s my working theory on Hughson — this was filmed in the wake of a quarantine haircut that didn’t go according to plan, and he’s Jim Hughson, and Canadians are too polite, so whenever he showed up for the shoot, nobody had the guts to say “Jim, glad you’re here, hope your family is well, let’s get you to hair and makeup.”
3. Frosted Flakes celly

Quote:
I like how they threw in a hockey magazine, just to let you know it’s a fantasy. A man playing hockey with an animated tiger, I can buy. Someone excitedly throwing down a magazine, printed on paper, in 2020? Takes me right out of it.
they also took 3 similarly terrible American broadcast commercials for comparison. the biggest question is, can we really last another 5 weeks of this?
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote