View Single Post
Old 06-17-2020, 04:14 PM   #171
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
we don't have a general USports thread going and I thought this deserved a separate posting from the Alberta Politics thread even though it may be related. This is huge, UAlberta suspending hockey, basketball, and volleyball entirely for the upcoming season - both mens and womens. I realize this season was in jeopardy already for the three sports but to outright suspend the three programs is pretty significant. The Bears and Panda's hockey programs have been among the most successful in the country. As an alumni this really stings to read about.

https://www.ualberta.ca/athletics/co...-season-update
Yes I heard the same thing today. Very surprising as I assumed that UofA would have been one of the more financially stable schools and able to weather the uncertainty.

As I mentioned earlier my daughter is going to play basketball at TRU (Kamloops) this year. She had a zoom call with the Athletic Director and her coach last week and they have advised her that all athletes have to be in Kamloops at the school at the start of September in order to qualify for their scholarship and maintain their spot on the team. Even though their schooling will be online and the earliest they can expect to start their season is January.

To me, it seems kinda crazy to expect these students to travel out there, pay for housing, etc in order to sit in their residence and do online school if all they are doing is small group practices. Individual training could be done here without all the extra expense.

Probably no right answer to all this but kinda frustrating as a parent.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote