View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 01:27 AM   #28
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Rittich has been playing worse - still making some big saves, but some iffy goals are getting by him. I do think that this is a product of the poor defensive game that Calgary has been playing, however. Flames need to tighten-up in their own end - if you can't play strong defence, you don't usually go very far in the playoffs regardless of how good at scoring you are. The old adage that defence wins champions usually apply. Flames absolutely need to provide a lot more support regardless of who is in net.

However, I am thinking Rittich does shore-up his game in the next stretch. How he responds in the playoffs is another question - a rather big question, IMO.

The playoffs are just a totally different animal. So much more pressure and scrutiny. He will be facing the same team over and over again - the opposing team gets to know his tendencies, they will get in his face and test him, game after game... just a totally different animal than the regular season. Can he handle that? My guess is yes. However, we don't know until he goes through it.

At least Mike Smith does know firsthand what a long playoff series entails. He hasn't won a cup, but he has experience. It is at least somewhat reassuring that he will be there to help focus Rittich, even if he isn't the most trusted goalie to step in. There is at least some reassurance in that, at least for me. Rittich often talks with Smith during the TV timeouts and such, and I think that is helpful.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if the depth move Treliving makes before the deadline is for another goalie. I tried to figure out who might be available from the teams that are out of it, and there really isn't much to upgrade on from Smith. Hopefully Treliving finds someone, as it can be reassuring, but then it could impact the room and chemistry there. Tough spot.

This is where I am thankful that the Flames will probably not blow all their savings on one single playoff run. This playoffs should really show where this team needs to add, especially in net. Parsons can't develop fast enough! I really believe he is at or near the same tier of goaltending prospect as Carter Hart - time will tell how good and how quickly he will develop. It is going to be interesting to see how Rittich does through this stretch drive and into the playoffs though - but if the Flames don't tighten-up defensively and give whatever goalie is playing more support, it won't matter too much who is in net. That's the key for me.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: