View Single Post
Old 05-13-2023, 05:36 PM   #19
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
This has been the crappiest Eurovision I can remember.
Overall I think this was a really high quality year, very entertaining, the show ran extremely smoothly, lots of variety and energy.

Which is why the jury voting being so ridiculously lopsided gives the whole thing a bad taste. There's just no excuse for it to be that massively lopsided, Loreen is good, but not "twice as good as anyone else" good.

I can very easily see this being the end of juries. They've already been somewhere between controversial and unpopular, and them just basically totally deciding the game before any public votes were given, especially in a year with many other quality songs is going to go down very poorly. It also doesn't help that there was such an obvious bias towards neighbouring countries. Juries theoretically exist to specifically counterbalance the things they did here; voting for neighbors, voting for the artist that was previously popular, voting for the paint-by-numbers composition.

The Eurovision fan forums I'm on are absolutely fuming over this.

Personally I totally expected Loreen to win, I just didn't expect the juries to go this massively overboard in picking a winner, and I though the public vote would have been closer.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote