View Single Post
Old 11-02-2017, 11:56 AM   #269
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feels like it's been awhile since this got bumped, so here we go.

November sees the release of the Doomsday Clock maxiseries from DC. I guess it's going to explore some weirdness in the DC Universe that may have been caused by Dr. Manhattan's manipulations, and might see the integration of the DC and Watchmen universes, or at least a temporary collision between them? Nadal Fan can probably fill in more details. It's going to be the first DC series I read and collect issue-by-issue since -- I dunno, maybe Long Halloween?

I read a preview of an upcoming title called Brilliant Trash from Aftershock comics, and it seems intriguing. First issue launches on November 15, from creators Tim Seeley, Priscilla Petraites, and Marco Lesko. Solicit copy follows: "In the days to come, a super powered teenage girl wipes the heavily disputed Old City of Jerusalem from the face of the globe. Now, in American dystopia after the “Lady Last Word Incident”, a click-bait headline writing “journalist” holds the key to a med-tech conspiracy that could turn people into gods for the price of days off their lives. But in a world where news is tailored to every viewpoint, will anyone believe her?"

Another thing that is happening in Marvel land is the mouthful of a series "PHOENIX RESURRECTION: THE RETURN OF JEAN GREY". So I guess OG Jean or some version of her is coming back for a 5-issue, weekly series that begins on the last Wednesday of 2017, Dec 27. There is a teenaged version of Jean running around currently as well, so I don't know what this Resurrection series will mean for the teenaged Jean's series. Gorgeous covers have been previewed for the Resurrection series' 5 issues. (Check behind the spoiler tag)

Spoiler!

I'm also going to check out a series from Vault Comics called Maxwell's Demons by creators Deniz Camp and Vittorio Astone after reading some glowing recommendations for it by comics pros I follow on Twitter. The series is supposed to debut sometime before the end of the year. Solicit copy follows: "Maxwell Maas may be the greatest mind the world has ever known, but at 10-years-old he has a lot to learn. Adventuring to distant worlds through his makeshift multiversal closet door, Max will encounter greatness and menace on a cosmic scale. Fans of Gaiman's Sandman will feel at home in the expansive, daring universe of Maxwell's Demons."

In terms of ongoings I'm reading, there's not much new there for me. I'm still mostly enjoying the current X-line, but primarily the solo books (All-New Wolverine, Iceman, Jean Grey), Generation X, and the Astonishing X-Men maxiseries. Other favorite ongoings from Marvel include Hawkeye, Jessica Jones, The Mighty Thor, She-Hulk, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, and Unbelievable Gwenpool. In terms of reading back issues, I just finished the excellent 12 issue Black Widow series by Mark Waid and Chris Samnee that was released in 2015-2016. I'm currently diving into the Daredevil run by the same creative team that launched in 2011.

Stuff that I also continue to enjoy tremendously that is not from Marvel includes Alters (Aftershock), Animosity and its companion series Animosity:Evolution (Aftershock), Curse Words (Image), Generation Gone (Image), Giant Days (Boomo Bo), and of course Lazarus X+66 (Image), the miniseries that concludes in December before the main Lazarus series resumes in Spring 2018.

What's got the rest of you excited? What titles are you reading these days?

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 11-02-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote