View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 12:04 PM   #268
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I really want to get into Marvel but they don't make it easy for new readers. Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Wolverine are all different characters (I think) than who I grow up with. If I was a long time reader that would make sense because readers want to see growth but as a new reader its intimidating to get into. DC New52 was great for new readers bought my first comic book because of it and haven't looked back. I hope the new Marvel relaunch will make things easier for new readers I would love to get into X-Men or Avengers but don't even know where to start to be honest.
I find that the landscape of comics has changed in 2 major ways that makes collecting individual issues less enticing to me:

1. Trade paperbacks and collected editions are cheaper and more plentiful.

2. A lot of modern comics are more flash than substance. The stories are often just too generic and filled with "moments". The comics themselves often have little dialogue and/or character development. You can get through one in a few minutes sometimes. The prices of issues also seem high. I get that the new glossy pages are more expensive to publish, but sometimes, as I've mentioned, you can get through one of these in a few minutes, and flashy glossy art only goes so far.

I just wait for collected editions. You can often get an entire story run for under $20, plus you have the benefit of hindsight of knowing what story arcs are critically well received.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote