View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014, 02:41 PM   #40
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
I'm surprised Burke went with small skill over a guy like O'Brien/Smith/Breen who has more size. I was expecting Ramage to get the next recall before he was sent to the ECHL. Heck, maybe they should've called up Kulak.
That group being passed over doesn't surprise me. I think the club has "given up" (for lack of a better term) on them. Smith and Breen are UFA's at the end of this year and I doubt we try to sign him (although I would love to see Smith come back for the Heat's sake) so why give them time with the big club when you can evaluate some kids? As for SOB, I'm going to assume he's HEAVILY shopped at the draft and gone as of September so again, no need to have him playing when he's not part of the long term plan.

Outside of Wotherspoon, I'm not sure you have anyone more NHL ready then Billins. Ramage I thought would unfortunately embarass himself in an NHL game, especially in a Smid type role. Kulak, I wouldn't throw him to the wolves that quick. As seen many times, the jump from CHL to NHL is a little hard on players, even for a short time. The other option might have been Cundari as he seems close to NHL ready. Plus, he's an RFA next season so maybe like Hanowski, you give him a call up and a long look to determine if you give him a qualifying offer in the off season.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote