View Single Post
Old 08-07-2022, 01:05 PM   #1166
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Besides physical limits, there could also be sociological reasons for a species not exploring space. Maybe they focus on looking inward, as FlamesAddiction said, so they could live in an idyllic world with no reason to consider leaving. They're smart enough to travel to other planets, stars, or even galaxies, but they've created technology that gives them the safety and security they need without having to deal with the danger.
I think there may come a point that there are also simply resource limits. If humans have shown one thing, it’s that we tend to plunder at unsustainable rates. Every time we throw non-renewable resources into space, like precious metals and fossil fuels, that comes with an opportunity cost for other technological advances that require those resources. It may seem small now, but imagine a world centuries or even a thousands years in the future where this is accelerated and dozens of countries (or corporations) are all doing the same thing. I know people talk about them mining other planets and asteroids for those materials, but then it likely becomes a real world game of Minecraft where we are mining more materials just to keep advancing so we can find more stuff to mine.

A truly advanced civilization probably looks at mastery of life and reality as goal and not increasing their physical domain in my opinion. I think there is a good chance that conquering thee physical limits of our planet and space is a human perspective that other intelligent life might not even be interested in.