View Single Post
Old 07-12-2021, 05:31 PM   #52
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's completely my gut instinct, but I have always been instinctually suspicious of the concept of Geothermal. You look at what we have done to the atmosphere and oceans, and just imagine us having an commensurate impact on the outer crust and it's a scary thought. As bad a some of the worst projections of climate change are, we are generally thinking about open systems that regularly exchange energy with the solar system. My first feeling about geothermal, is it's a fun niche technology for rich environmentalist but if we start thinking about scaling it up millions of times, I worry about us changing the balance of energy within the earth, and worry that any unintended consequences would be far less manageable than even what we are facing now. Might not be a reasonable concern, but I think it's one that should be considered very carefully.

Also living in Alberta, far and away the most annoying thing about these conversations is all the people who need to point out that renewables are bad too. Yes I do understand mining happens in the production of batteries, and there is waste, and wind mills don't last forever, and I do know that the power grids in Texas failed when it got cold (even though it was improper winterization of natural gas plants that toppled the dominos causing everything else to fail). But none of those problems prove that it isn't an urgent concern to reduce our dependency of O&G. They are other problems we need to keep working on while we move away from O&G.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post: