View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #179
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Bennett just went through a two year bridge/show me type deal. He's had three years in a row of less than 30 points. What would constitute a breakout and how much leverage would he hope to gain in one year?

Kicking the can down the street one year doesn't make sense for either side. Bennett, if he's smart, is likely looking for a 3-4 year deal where he can make a strong case for himself over a longer period of time while still having plenty of UFA/prime years left. Similarly the Flames would probably prefer to lock him up for a short-mid term deal & see how it plays out.

4 years 3-3.5 million per.
Bennett is currently 22 years old and I believe 3 years away from UFA. It's not like he's 25 years old and looking at having 6 more years in the league.

For that reason I think a 2 year deal at a similar percentage cap hit to what he just had works for both parties. 2 years ago he was regarded higher than Ferland, and earned a higher value contract....in the next 2 years despite Ferlands inconsistency, he did out produce Bennett by a fair margin.

Bennett's leverage is the arbitration rights and the RFA compensation likley being a 2nd round pick up to 4.2 ish million. But I don't think a good team gives Bennett those dollars plus their 2nd round pick.