View Single Post
Old 09-21-2019, 03:33 PM   #6
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I follow a lot of movie stuff.

Lindsay Ellis. My YouTube crush. Doesn't make videos too often, might be in some kind of a hiatus, but her long videos are basically all well worth watching.

Spoiler!

MovieBob / Bob Chipman in general. Excellent movie critic, but also does all sorts of pop culture stuff, like general commentary on games as Game Overthinker. A great source if you want to get know more about all the comics that are possibly made into movies without actually reading All The Comics. MovieBobs Schloctobers are a great source for learning about some truly mind blowing schlock

Spoiler!

Lessons from the Screenplay. This is a channel that gets quoted in Hollywood production meetings. Fantastic source for understanding how movies are made.

Spoiler!

Patrick H Willems. Guy loves movies and has interesting stuff to say about it, most of the time. Longform.

Spoiler!

Politics/Philosophy/History

LindyBeige is a British guy who talks mostly about history and/or war. I find him entertaining and informative.

Spoiler!

ContraPoints. One of the absolutely best things on YouTube. Kind of hard to explain. She does a lot commentary on things topics related to either alt-rights or feminism, but she's both better at making interesting and relevant points than basically anyone, and also is visually more interesting than basically anyone. Takes a bit of getting used to, but well worth the effort.

NSFW!

Almost a sibling channel to that is Philosophy Tube. A British actor / philosopher, who also makes visually ambitious videos and covers extremely heated topics with a lot of nuance. A flaming leftie, but you don't have to agree with those ideas to find his points interesting.

NSFW!

His older videos are a lot more basic, drier history and philosophy stuff, but many of them are really good.

This for example is probably the best explanation of Antifa that exists in any format.

Spoiler!

I also really strongly recommend his video series on liberalism. You might not agree with everything in it, but it's still a really useful point of view to understand if you want to understand modern politics.

I also follow
Overly Sarcastic Productions (writing, mythology, tropes...)
Just Write, about writing
Knowing Better, general knowledge
Shaun, factual arguments against the far right

Oh, and Shadiversity. Medieval history and/or medieval D&D -style fantasy. Recommended if you're into that stuff.

Spoiler!

Last edited by Itse; 09-21-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote