View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 11:46 PM   #46
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Oops, I messed up the difference between 5e and 6/6a. My bad.

As a professional, are there any specific considerations when pulling cable based on the CMP or CMR rating of the cable for fire proofing/liability concerns and whatnot?
I don't know the rules extensively but it is a riser vs plenum rating (mostly for commercial scenarios). FT4 is the Canadian equivalent (for the most part) of the American rating CMR. This should be on any cables (CAT, speaker, coax etc) located behind drywall etc. It is pretty common for me to find non-rated speaker wires in the wall (gold lamp-cord style).

Plenum (CMP or FT6) is only used in spaces that are part of the HVAC system (spaces that facilitate air circulation for heating / cooling systems). This pretty much only found in commercial spaces.

There are rules around firewalls etc, but it is beyond the scope of this discussion.

Not really sure from a homeowners perspective on the liabilities of not using properly rated cable, best to talk to your insurance agent. Rated cable is not expensive and should always be used.

The some other things:

- keep distance between high & low voltage wires so there is no interference.
- try to keep 12 inches apart especially on parallel runs.
- do not use the the same holes in joist for both high and low voltage wires.
- be careful pulling network wire as it kinks easily and is generally more delicate than other low-voltage wire (particularly Cat 5e)
- conduit is your friend when it comes to future proofing media room / HT setups
- you need to use proper vapour barrier low-voltage boxes on exterior walls

Last edited by cupofjoe; 02-19-2020 at 11:54 PM.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post: