View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 11:56 AM   #8
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Let me state my disclaimer right off the bat: I am loving the way our opening night roster is shaping up and in no way want to see a Flame go down due to injury. Like, ever. That being said, humour me for a moment or two as I breach into unthinkable territory.

Three seasons ago this team was dealt some misfortune with multiple injuries coming right out of the gate, and we as fans were pleasantly surprised with at least three prospects (Jooris, Granlund, Byron) who had great camps and were able to keep the ship afloat while our regulars (Backlund, Colborne, Jones) eased their way back. Blueline issues also crept up on us as the season came to a close.

I’ve been watching this team for 20 years and at no point have I seen the roster depth at every position like we are currently starting to show. Yes it was stated for justification during the Hamonic trade, and the intriguing names that are still floating around camp aren’t news to anyone around here. However, we always view our prospects (with the exception of Jankowksi this pre-season) as pieces that will either be ready this year, next year, or the next. It isn’t always that easy though. Sometimes teams are forced to get a look at their prized prospects on the big stage far sooner than they expect. Whether that be injury to veterans, or simple intrigue.

Examples of successful stories in recent years at the top of my head:

Anaheim with Brandon Montour and Shea Theodore. Similar thing could be said for when Andersen and Gibson slowly eased into Hiller’s starting role.

Boston last year in playoffs with Charlie McAvoy (replaced an injured Brandon Carlo)

Pittsburgh in the 15/16 season and playoffs with Bryan Rust

I am far more optimistic about our prospect pool than I was three seasons ago (particularly on the back end and in the goal crease), and I have confidence that we have as many as 8 guys that could effectively step into a role this season if called upon.

Poirier
Foo
Mangiapane
Hathaway
F. Hamilton
Shinkaruk
Klimchuk*
Dube*

Andersson
Kulak
Kylington*
Valmaki*
Wotherspoon*

Gillies
Rittich

Clearly not all at once, but just knowing we have that kind of a list ready to step into roles is something to be celebrated. This doesn’t even touch on guys like Bennett, Jankowski or Lazar getting bumped up in the lineup in the case of anybody in the top 6 going down. I’d much prefer this method over a team like, say, the Oilers plugging Puljujarvi into a top 6 spot to start the season when they aren’t 100% sure he’s even ready.

Sure we have one or two veteran contracts coming off the books at season’s end, which will undoubtedly make for fun competition at camp next year, but who on this list do you think could step into a roster spot and keep it if someone were to go on LTIR this season?
In your forward list which ones would be worth a 4th round pick or better to another team at the trading deadline?

Flames gave up a 2nd last year for Lazar because he was an upgrade on all the guys that were in Stockton (including Jankowski)

Valamaki, Anderssen and Kylington have value as prospects as they are all starting the first year of their ELC ... I don't thinks that another team would trade their 1st (for Valamaki) or a 2nd for Anderssen / Kylington to have them in their 5/6 spots for a playoff run.

If the Defensemen on the list were at the stage where they could fill in as a 4/5 then the Flames would not have signed Stone.

All the d-men in the organization were ranked behind Bartkowski who was a UFA playing under a PTO in the AHL.

The Flames were making a playoff run/push last year and went outside the organization with most of these guys available.... which ones have made a significant improvement on where they were last year?

There is a reason that this board seems to support spending the last bit of cap space on Iginla or Jagr.

Same as most teams the Flames run into trouble if any of their top-6 forwards or 2 of their top-5 D get hurt.

Goalies are goalies Rittich / Gillies might be better than Smith and Lack
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote