View Single Post
Old 03-14-2020, 07:36 AM   #6
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you begin lessons with someone, other than some rudimentary stuff at your first session, your teacher should inspect your instrument to make sure it's set up properly. If they can't do it, they should be able to recommend someone for the service. If they don't, get another teacher.

If you opt for the no-teacher method, take your instrument to someone reputable (i.e. NOT guitar center or other 'mall shop') to have it setup _properly_. DO NOT rely on factory/kijiji setup, I can't stress this enough. A poorly setup instrument makes it so difficult to play - when your ear can hear it, hands can feel it, but the instrument doesn't respond well, it's incredibly frustrating.

Other than that, start learning things that you enjoy listening to. Learn all the parts, not just guitar parts or the melody. Soul and passion will always win out over virtuosity. Even difficult sounding things can be learned by slowing them down to a speed you can handle and working your way up as the muscle memory kicks in. Practice. Alot.

Oh, and never ever ever ever ever ever play Stairway in a music store.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rbochan For This Useful Post: