View Single Post
Old 06-20-2016, 11:37 AM   #46
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
I'm not going to predict the future here but it's fairly safe to say that the TSX energy index will be trading higher than it is today in the medium term future. It's foolish to assume the status quo is the long term norm. Worldwide demand for petroleum is growing and will continue to grow. The transition away from coal generation will result in more demand for natural gas. It's almost certain that there will not be another right wing vote split in 2019 and the damage the NDP is doing to the province will thankfully be limited to one term.

Long term investors haven't lost confidence in the Calgary and Alberta marketplace and neither have most people in the city. Don't assume that others share your pessimistic outlook.
The thing you have to remember is the bid isn't taking place in 2026, it's happening in 2019. So really everything has to be going well by the end of 2018, because that's when the public support is needed to fully back the bid. I just don't see conditions being that much better in 24-30 months given the current situation, and without that I don't see enough public support to see this through. Really I suspect it doesn't go any further than this, a council discussion and that's that.