View Single Post
Old 10-20-2018, 07:18 AM   #27
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saros is a pipe dream. He's being groomed to take over for Rinne. Poile is no fool.

Darling is possibly the worst "starting" goaltender in the league, and I use the word starting generously.

Grubauer is not a starter as far as I can see. Decent to good backup, but that's about it.

Korpisalo is likely the next starter for the Blue Jackets. I'm also less than certain that he can be a full time starter, so that would make me nervous as well.

Lehner is a head case. It's not his fault, but it causes massive swings in his play. Not someone you want as a starter until he shows much more consistency following proper treatment for his bipolar disorder.

Halak is the guy that is a great 1B goalie, meaning he can carry a starter's load for a while, but he's not consistent enough over the course of a season. He's always been that way. It's not going to change now. However, in combination with Mike Smith, that could be a pretty good tandem until a long term solution is found.

Kuemper is a backup through and through. No interest in him as a starter. Tristan Jarry is in the same category for me.

Anderson is a gamer, but he's just too old to consider as a long term solution.

Jimmy Howard is battling every night just trying to hold Detroit in games, but he's also on the old side.

Bobrovsky and Varlamov are both going to be UFAs next year. I'd happily take either on a 3-4 year deal, but that's in the off-season, and we might need something this season. A trade for either one of these guys only happens if their teams are out of the playoffs.

Schneider makes sense only if he's fully recovered from his surgery. The question is then acquisition cost and fitting the salary. We would probably have to send a roster player the other way. Brodie?

Basically, I don't see an option right now that is better than what we have. It's probably something that is addressed in the off-season, and paying for a UFA is expensive. It would be really great if just one of the goalies in our system looked ready to make the jump. That would be ideal in terms of long term planning and cost control, but it just hasn't happened.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post: