View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 12:27 PM   #198
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

2 9 10 12 14 25 28 30 34

If we were starting from scratch today, Iginla is the only number I'd have retired.

I don't think there is any argument that 9 and 30 are discernibly more deserving than any/all of 2, 14, or 34. You can order them however you want, but I think they are within inches of each other, and Iginla is a foot ahead.

I think it's okay to 'reset the bar' without cutting 9 and 30 down. Hanging FAF banners right beside the 'legit' banners was just the most hamfisted way of trying to achieve that.

I think there are two major logic fails that people can't get past:
1. MacInnis is a top 10 player at his position in the history of the game, and played over 300 more games as a Flame than McDonald. Most people can find at least 20 goalies and 20 wingers who are 'greater' than 9 and 30 (personally, there are only 6 defensemen who I'm sure are 'greater' than MacInnis).
2. Honouring Nieuwendyk and Vernon, but not Fleury. However you want to order the five guys who have been honoured however you want, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who believes Fleury is a tier below, let alone 6th out of those 6.

The absence of 14 is the most damning thing. For the same reason, the baseball HHOF is a joke without Rose, Bonds, or Clemens. Now that 12 is legitimately retired, I don't think many would have much of a problem with FAF if it included Fleury.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote