View Single Post
Old 05-03-2022, 01:58 PM   #4081
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The fact is that AltaGuy’s opinion - that gestation term should have no bearing on the state’s handling of abortion - is far outside the mainstream even of pro-choice supporters. As Corsi says, it’s the kind of moral grandstanding you see on social media but which ignores the complexity of the issue.
That's a bit of a misrepresentation of what I'm saying - I'm not saying that that position is in and of itself indicative of moral grandstanding. There are, in my view, more extreme positions than what Altaguy was saying that are at least theoretically defensible, including things like a spectrum of moral personhood that could go all the way up to adulthood, or even anti-natalism (which I don't really think makes much sense but there are certainly people who have advanced it in earnest). What I was referring to as moral grandstanding is the certitudinous attitude that there's nothing worth even discussing, just hand-waving away any notion that, for example, late term abortion is even up for debate... Which seemed to be what was implied by the statement "the garbage thing about debates over "late-term" abortions is that it is entirely political/religious. Abortions should be a medical decision made behind closed doors."
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote