View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #292
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boris Johnson no longer has a majority in parliament. MP Tory Lee crosses the floor to join the Liberal Democrats during Boris Johnson's speech. I can't think of a bigger FU to one's former party.

Quote:
Rebel Tory MP Phillip Lee has dramatically defected to the Liberal Democrats – depriving Boris Johnson of his Commons majority.

The pro-EU former justice minister walked across the Commons chamber, to sit with Jo Swinson’s party, meaning the prime minister now leads a minority government – the first since 1996.

“The party I joined in 1992 is not the party I am leaving today,” said Dr Lee, a supporter of a Final Say referendum on Brexit.

“This Conservative government is aggressively pursuing a damaging Brexit in unprincipled ways. It is putting lives and livelihoods at risk unnecessarily and it is wantonly endangering the integrity of the United Kingdom.

“More widely, it is undermining our country’s economy, democracy and role in the world. It is using political manipulation, bullying and lies. And it is doing these things in a deliberate and considered way.”

Mr Lee said the Conservative Party "had become a narrow faction in which one's Conservatism is measured by how recklessly one wants to leave the European Union".

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9090356.html

Last edited by FlameOn; 09-03-2019 at 11:46 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post: