View Single Post
Old 10-22-2017, 11:19 AM   #8
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
This issue relates to what I see in his giveaways. He's trying to do much instead of just getting it done. The creativity and ooh moves are great when they work but he tries to do it way way too much. Bad habits that are getting worse the more he plays. You can bet that Daryl Sutter or Mike Babcock or Joel Queenville wouldn't tolerate that kind of nonsense. He doesn't score much because he always looks to pass or stickhandle it into the net. Even has the goalie beat but refuses to flip it over him because he wants to slide it in on the ice between the goalie's legs. All that's only mildly frustrating though.

What really concerns me is the kind of giveaway that led to the winning goal last night. Very high risk low reward to get it through the man just over the blueline. Totally unnecessary and no situational awareness in trying that there. That's the kind on nonsense that would get Josh Ho-Sang benched at the age of 18.
Giveaways will likely always be an issue and this isn’t exclusive to just him. Star players and players who carry the puck a lot generally have higher turnover numbers. Just look at who’s at the top, Brent Burns lead the league in turnovers by a mile and he won the Norris, #2 is Karlsson and he may be the best defenseman in the league. Joe Pavelski, Brad Marchand, John Tavares and etc aren’t too far behind Johnny either.

Star players turn pucks over, that’s just the way it is and you take the good with the bad and hope that the amount of good they create far exceeds the bad. The kid is still young and I suspect that the older he gets and the more experience he gains, he’ll recognize how not to turn the puck over as often and when not to turn the puck over.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post: