Thread: Golf!!!2!
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2017, 03:24 PM   #1414
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Has anyone been fitted for irons before? Who did you use and did you notice an improvement after?
I've been fitted many times and have done dozens myself. I recommend it, if you have the ability to make a consistent swing and find the middle of the club face. Yes, club fitting will help, but remember one thing about golf, "it ain't the arrow, it's the guy behind the bow."

As to who to use, I would recommend a club pro, first and foremost. If they have a fitting cart, they will likely be trained in how to use it. Plus, you establish a relationship with a pro who can help you with lessons and tweaking your game. If you're looking for a quick fit, a place with a launch meter will be able to do the job. Golftown for example. I still recommend a pro who knows how the swing works and will do the work.

Quote:
A bit of background on my golf game, I'm generally low to mid 90's, 10 rounds a year (more next year thanks to a new job) and a moderate length hitter. My issues have been position of contact on the club face as well as swing flow/body timing.
Herein lies the problem with fitting. The guy fitting you is going to struggle to fit you if you do not have a consistent swing and don't hit the ball consistently. This is a catch-22, but it is a reality of trying to fit someone. A guy should be putting you on impact tape to find out if there is any adjustments in lie. Impact tape will also tell the fitter if you are finding the middle of the club face, which is crucial in a fitting. If you are not hitting groups the size of a dime on face tape, and not making a mark the size of your little finger on the sole tape, I personally would be wary of making a recommendation, and I wouldn't accept the recommendation. It is up to you though.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post: