View Single Post
Old 08-04-2021, 06:59 AM   #2596
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
You know Rube, I wish you would offer more than a glib one liner to describe policy decisions like that. You know it's far more complex than just calling it gross.

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden...6195b692015605

Okay, so let's say that everything about the hardships of Cuba is because of American sanctions. On the other hand, the people themselves say it isn't sanctions themselves, but a poorly run country that is to blame, and many are calling for an overthrowing of an authoritarian regime.

The slightly cynical but positive side in me says he is issuing sanctions to pressure the government to make substantial changes in policy or perhaps creating enough tension in the population to make wholesale government changes.

The more cynical side in me is saying he is doing so to gain Latino voters in Florida for the next election.

Either way, if the end result is a loosening of authoritarian control of a poor country, or a wholesale government change leading to eventual progress for the people, is that not a good thing overall?
I'd guess it's very political given Trump's success in Florida. Being hard on Cuba seems political advantageous among Cuban Americans.

That is a cynical view as you say as I don't know much of anything about the issue itself.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote