Old 07-24-2021, 11:06 PM   #4196
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
I am not grading the draft itself

Just the inactivity
Curious to know what you mean by inactivity. Was there a GM who was more active at the draft last year? Does signing the, widely regarded, best goalie on the UFA market last season not register? What about Tanev as well? What about selling Bennett and Rittich?….Inactivity?

Sure, I was hoping for something of significance over the past two days, but looking at the price of a Ristolainen, for example, is not something I would have applauded. Jones wasn’t coming here and I don’t fault Treliving for trading a first+ for Reinhart either.

Look at what the Blackhawks gave up to get Jones. He could have very well signed in Chicago in a year from now and all it would have cost is cap space.If he was willing to sign there now, why not then? Apparently he wasn’t going to Philadelphia.

Does acquiring Sam Rienhart push this team into contention? I don’t think so. I like the player, but not at that price for this team right now. Not without another shoe, or two to drop. So, what are we complaining about? Inactivity? Really?

Treliving will never live down the Hamonic trade as long as he’s GM of the Flames, short of winning a cup. And I’m reasonably sure, over a beer, he would say ‘yeah, I would like that one back’. That was a situation of a GM reaching for it. I think it’s worth acknowledging Treliving looks to have shown some restraint here. I would imagine Treliving did his job and had a good idea about what the price was to acquire the players that moved this weekend, and also wether they were suitable options.

One way or the other, the vultures are out looking to pick the team, and the GM, apart.

Sometimes ‘inactivity’, as you put it, can be a good thing. Also worth acknowledging that the offseason isn’t over. Last I checked Jack Eichel hasn’t been traded and I’m sure there are others who are available. Some we may know about , and some we may not.

The Flames not falling over themselves to acquire a Ristolainen , OEL, Ellis, Atkinson, Vorachek, or a Rienhard is something I can accept.

Last edited by TOfan; 07-24-2021 at 11:10 PM.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post: