View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #45
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
I don't know how great of an idea it really is, actually. 3 out of 4 startups in tech are Android Apps, and in the USA, Droid X is outselling iPhone4.

Now you can say that its due to the antenna fear, or because iPhone isn't on Verizon yet, but you got to wonder how long a fad can dominate a market. Especially when startups give you an idea what is "hip" and 3 out of 4 startups are Android Apps.

Then again, hard to argue with a $300B company as well too.
If 3/4 start ups are Android Apps, how many of them survive? The app development business is extremely difficult to make a profit on, and I'd say even more difficult on Android than on iOS. People HATE paying for software. They'll find any excuse not to pay for an app, so if you're relying solely on ad revenue, that's going to require that you develop one hell of an app to be popular enough to generate a return on investment. You're easily looking at spending over $1MM a year developing, supporting, an application, and that's with a small team. So I find it pretty hard to believe that all three of those tech startups are successful.

I'll bet that with your being connected in the Valley, 60-70% of those calls for people are really coming from the same people who fail over and over again until they finally get a hit. That's not an uncommon occurrence.

My personal opinion on app development is that the only money in it is as a contractor, or developing an app for the purpose of supporting other revenue streams (like the big banks bringing out apps).

As for the popularity of the iPhone 4 vs other devices, there is a major restriction on the number of iPhone 4's based on being tied to a single wireless provider. If the iPhone was available on more carriers, I think it would be much more prevalent.