View Single Post
Old 08-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #13
1991 Canadian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Pretty solid reminder every time someone wants to call western democracies Facist or authoritarian. I don’t care how ####ty Trump is, or how many #### Trudeau slogans are out there... we’re not openly trying to murder political dissidents like certain other nations.
You're right, people need to careful about crying wolf about terms that have a heavy meaning. But there have been some very worrying trends that I would consider pre-fascist, particularly coming from our southern neighbour.

You could say the same line in 1930s Western democratic Europe and it wouldn't be wrong. "I don’t care how ####ty Hitler is, or how many #### Franco
slogans are out there... we’re not openly trying to murder political dissidents like Stalin is."

We're not Russia and I don't think we ever will be, but there is enough historical examples where things can go downhill quickly in democratic countries. There were warning signs in those countries before they got to the point of openly murdering of political dissidents.
1991 Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote