View Single Post
Old 07-16-2020, 03:44 PM   #1
rogermexico
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default NHL CBA experts: Help me with a fact check for a story

Hi folks!
I'm working writing a new fiction project, that includes a character who is an ex-NHL goalie. The back story is that he was bought-out of a large contract. The story takes place in a little imaginary town in the East Kootenays, and this wealthy odd-ball ex-Goalie is one of the town characters.

I want to make sure that I've got the details of his contract buy-out straight for myself.

I've written a little summary of his fictional contract and the details around the buy-out. These details may not necessarily appear in the text, but I want to make sure that they're accurate according to the actual, real-world CBA.

Do any of the armchair cap-ologists or CBA experts on this board mind having a look and providing feedback for me? It would help me tremendously!

Here's the summary:
Quote:
In the summer of 2007 Ray Gourde signed a 7 year $42.25M contract with an annual cap hit of $6.04M. The front-loaded contract paid him a real salary of $8.5M for the 2007-08 season, making him the fourth highest-paid player in the league, and the highest paid goalie.

Gourde’s contract was bought out by the team in the summer of 2009. The ordinary course buy-out left Gourde receiving 2/3rds of the remaining $25.75 over the next ten years, meaning Gourde will be on the team’s payroll (and salary cap) for $1.6995 annually until the summer of 2019.
Again, this text won't necessarily appear as-written in the story, but will be my reference piece for consistency and realism. Thanks in advance for your feedback!
rogermexico is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rogermexico For This Useful Post: