View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 10:01 AM   #19
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The bottom line to me is it does come from the amateur sports organizations to set the tone. I can only use football as I've never coached or had a kid in hockey.

However we have to go back to the concept of a contract between parents, coaches and the sport. Coaches in football have to take a course on ethical decisions in coaching, but it doesn't really mention the relationship between coaches and refs, and touches on the relationship between coaches and parents in terms of field safety and concussion/injury protocols. I think it needs to go further.

1) there needs to be more of a contract between coaches and officials, and a zero policy for abuse either way. Refs get things wrong, they get yelled at and they get frustrated. Coaches see wrong calls, and they go back to the old coaches 101 and lose their mind. I think there needs to be a one and done rule per game. If you abuse a ref, the head ref will warn the bench, and warn the head coach. If it happens again the offending coach and the head coach get tossed from the game and could be suspended for the next game. If you have three of these incidence in a year, maybe your suspended for the following year.

For parents its tougher, maybe the league needs to have a representative in the stands thats willing to go cool a parent down if they get out of control, and that person has to be willing to walk the parent out. Then there's a condition where they have to talk to the team manager, or association rep before they're allowed back in the stands.

3) At the same time, I have to say there needs to be an increased expectation of players. We played a team this week that was full on trash talking not only at the game but on social media all week. Their players were not only trash talking the players but beaking at the opposition bench. that comes from the opposition coaches either allowing this, or teaching it to their players to be "Intimidating". Refs have to be more willing to call unsportsman like, but they often don't because they're intimidated by veteran coaches.

Just my two cents.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: