View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 09:12 AM   #14
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
This needs to happen.

Groans and a certain level of jeers from parents is acceptable and expected for perceived blown calls by minor refs. But the minute it turns into verbal abuse, immediate ejection. Physical abuse of an official should lead to lifetime bans from any minor hockey event.

The culture of attacking refs needs to be changed.

I don't believe that jeers are acceptable or verbally abusing the refs to me should be zero tolerance and that's from the parents, coaches, and players. I was talking to a ref for football, and the reason they're having trouble finding youth sports officials is because there is a perception that its just a job that you have to take a lot of abuse.

I've also found that the parents that are jeering and groaning have next to no control over themselves and they're just noticeable.

Remember that these young officials aren't pro's they're learning the game and trying to get on track with the speed of the game. They're also evaluated after the game, in football by video's of the game, they know they've missed calls etc.

Oh and the bottom line is this and I've gone after my coaches on this. The minute you start jeering and groaning whether you're a coach or player or parent. The kids playing pick up that negativity like a sponge and it spirals. Also good luck getting a call in your favor when you need it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote